At the moment Google+ only allows you to import your HotMail or Yahoo contacts while your Gmail contacts will already be listed. This is a bummer for those of us that don’t use Yahoo or Hotmail right? Fortunately there is a hack that you can use to import all of your Facebook contacts onto Gmail. As far as I know it only works with Google Chrome and the process has some glitches but it actually works.
The step by step goes as follows:
- Open Google Chrome and login to your Facebook account.
- Open a new tab and install the “Facebook Friend Exporter” extension
- Refresh (press F5) your Facebook. You will notice that you have now a new option called “Export Friends!”
- Click on “Export friends!” and a message will pop-up asking you if you want to be redirected to your friends page.
- Wait for all your contacts to be processed. If some contacts are not processed just close the page and click on “Export friends!” again. The extension keeps a log file of the contacts that were already exported and will only export those that are not processed.
- Export your contacts to Gmail using Oauth.
- By now you should find on your Gmail’s contacts a new group called “Imported from Facebook.”
5. If you go to Google+ you will see them on the “Find and Invite” tab on your “Circles” page and you will be able to see which ones are already using Google+ and add them to your circles.
Find me on Google+ and please leave your thoughts in the comments.
Originally posted on JUNE 30, 2011 @ The Zargon